Our main target is for our city to reach climate neutrality by obtaining Net-zero GHG emissions. To close that gap, we, the Municipality, the Task Team, the Local Society, will address actions on every possible field, focusing on Stationary Energy and Transport, envisioning a city center pedestrianized, with citizens using more bicycles than cars, and electric cars replacing gas cars. Those actions will be developed through extensive cooperation between Municipality – Academic Institutions and Local Citizens, that is already in force, to Co-create our future Climate Neutral and smart City.
We see our will to become one of the 100 climate-neutral and smart European Cities by 2030 as a great opportunity for the City of Ioannina and for Greece in general. Amid climate crisis, we also face a serious risk of energy poverty. Thus, the City’s Municipality, cooperating with the citizens and local stakeholders, aspires that Ioannina will pioneer in the process of neutralizing GHG emissions and climate mitigation, and in the radical transformation of mentality as well.
Municipality of Ioannina is in mid-level of ripeness to reduce overall GHG emissions by 2030, as several plans (e.g. the Sustainable Energy Action Plan, Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan, Sustainable Urban Development Strategy, Waste management plan and cross-sectoral Smart City plan) have been developed in the last 3 years, and all of them fall within the implementation period. For sure, participation in the “Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy” and “100 Intelligent Cities Challenge/Digital Cities Challenge” initiatives offer primary tools for our main target, as several measures are in progress for reducing CO2 emissions. Yet, the vision of Ioannina city is to scale up.
To reach the target of climate neutrality by 2030, the municipality has decided to change the current organization chart and create a new administrative unit, focusing on climate neutrality planning and monitoring. Furthermore, the unit will be responsible for coordinating a Task Team of experts, offer guidance under the supervision of the Mayor, and monitor the project results. Part of the Task Team will also be the factors who developed this proposal:
- Proposal related large companies as ABB S.A., TERNA S.A and POLYECO S.A.
- Ministry of Environment and Energy
- Major academic institutions, such as:
- Department of Architecture – University of Patras
- Laboratory of Sustainable Mobility – National Technical University of Athens
- Laboratory of Climatology – National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Local stakeholders, as VIKOS S.A. and Local courier companies
- local society, thought their involvement on consultations and questionnaires
The citizens and habitants of Ioannina will help its transformation to a climate neutral and smart city.
One of our targets is to renew the collected data, create a tool for monitoring and reporting, evaluate the current situation and propose policies/actions for updating the existing plans. In close cooperation with the new unit, the Team will create an overall new monitoring system to keep track on GHG emissions and climate mitigation, using also tools developed by several EU projects that Municipality has taken part, or will take part. This new system will also be disseminated over other Municipalities that share the goal of climate neutrality.
Along with our primary target, we evaluate the cooperation of the civil society in the co-creation of a climate neutral future of great importance. The start has already been made, through workshops, living labs and public questionnaires, accessible to all. The local society, scientific and commercial associations, public institutions and private stakeholders have embraced the Municipality’s vision by actively engaging and massively participating in such actions.
- TRANSPORT– Lake Public TransportLake Pamvotida is the main natural element of Ioannina and the main provider of its identity. A lake public transport network of local and express boats is proposed to connect the city of Ioannina to various points along the lakeside promenade and the historic Island settlement. Transport will be exclusively performed by vessels with zero energy footprint and emissions.
– Vertical Connections: Public Stairs – Public Elevators
Ioannina has a relatively sharp topography that creates accessibility and connectivity issues. A series of vertical connections are proposed in the form of public stairs and/or public elevators that enhance accessibility and act as urban landmarks and viewing points. Three elevators are initially proposed: in the northern part of the Castle (Aslan Mosque), in the eastern part of the Castle (Iç Kale) and in Litharitsia Park (former bastion).
- OTHER-Lakeside PromenadeThe surroundings of Lake Pamvotida consists of urban, rural, and protected natural areas, including tourist spots and sports facilities, only partly accessible on foot and bike. A continuous lakeside promenade is proposed which will include areas for education, rest and contemplation These areas, including the historic Island settlement, will be interconnected via the proposed lake public transport system.
The peri-urban hilly wooded areas west of Ioannina constitute its major green area. These pine woods include pathways currently lacking in design, comfort, and safety. Reforestation, the enrichment of flora and fauna and the building of pathways for hiking, mountain running, and biking are envisioned. Public transport, (electric) bicycle and pedestrian connections to the inhabited areas will be provided. Similar plans will be applied on the historic Island grove.
-Urban Greenways: City-Lake Transverse Connections
The irregular and dense city fabric of Ioannina prevents perceptual, visual and physical connection to the lake. Two exemplary urban axes-greenways are proposed: a. The cultural axis connecting significant city landmarks (former Pedagogical Academy, Kaloutsiani Mosque, lakeside Traditional Crafts Center etc). b. The functional axis connecting Albania, Zagori provinces, the airport and the bus terminal to the center, and the lakeside Katsari Park.